Runner with a photography problem

Alaskan {runner, swimmer, SUP'er, surfer, cyclist, hiker, backpacker, traveler, snowboarder} with a photography problem...

Tetons

Tetons

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Marathon-Themed Bridal Shower

Back in November, I threw my sister a "bridal" shower prior to her renewal of vows ceremony/wedding reception. She's an amazing distance runner, so naturally, a marathon theme seemed fitting. When I went to look online for ideas, I was surprised at how little I found. So, with the help of my mom and sisters' friends, we came up with lots of ideas - everything short of running an actual race (only because she was 6 months pregnant at the time!)

I thought I'd share pictures of the event for people looking to do the same theme!

I made an invite to look like a marathon bib, for the "Sweetheart Classic." (Cheesy, I know). The numbers 1123 are for November 23rd, day of the shower. Attire: "runner friendly."

bridal shower invite
starting line outside the house
I put together a "course map" highlighting important dates from their relationship, ie- first date, when they said I love you, when they bought a house together, when he proposed, etc.


"Mile markers" and photos of the couple were spread out around the party. A running music playlist was going in the background.



Gatorade and bottled water accompanied the usual party food and beverages. Guests left marriage advice with permanent markers on labeled bottles of water.



My mom and one of my sisters friends made a beautiful cake/cupcake trays. The cake had a miniature bride/groom on it and below it were quotes/marriage advice from family members who could not attend the shower.


We had prizes for games (ie- how well do you know the bride?) that were running-related (finishers ribbon, running headbands and socks, etc). The games involved the usual bride/groom questions, but also had some bonus questions at the end re: the brides fastest marathon time, how many marathons she has completed, etc. All attendees recieved a "race packet" that included energy bars, chocolate, Emergen-C packets, and a small finishers medal. 


"Bag drop" sign was placed above where guests left gifts for the bride.


Participants posed with a near life-sized model of the couple under the "finish line."


It ended up being a little work, but worth it - lots of fun! 
Congrats Jake and Britt!




3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Love the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was the size of your invitation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this information on themed bridal shower party. Recently, I arranged my best friend’s bridal shower party at one of exemplary wedding venues. Invited all our friends and made wonderful arrangements. Had excellent time there.

    ReplyDelete