Runner with a photography problem

Alaskan {runner, swimmer, SUP'er, surfer, cyclist, hiker, backpacker, traveler, snowboarder} with a photography problem...

Tetons

Tetons

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Surf Trip: Bear Glacier, Alaska


Hands down, one of the best adventures I've had since moving back to Alaska in June....

A group of friends did a surfing day trip to Bear Glacier (about an hour boat ride from Seward) a few weeks ago. We lucked out with perfect conditions and there were plenty of waves for everyone! Surprisingly, water temp was a balmy 54 degrees (felt warmer than surfing in Canada, to me!) and I was even a little hot in my 5-4 mm wetsuit/booties/lobster gloves/hood combo. Got some nice rides plus a few good beatings and leash mishaps... and had a giant grin plastered to my face the whole time. At the end I had to force myself to paddle back to the boat because a) my leash snapped and b) after 3-4 hours out there, I could no longer lift my arms. I concluded that lobster gloves keep your hands toasty... but also feel like you're holding onto 10 lb. dumbbells when you paddle. ;) Stunning views in all directions, consistent waves just my size, and friendly locals - Gracias Bear Glacier, you completely exceeded my expectations! Already planning my next visit!












 


1 comment:

  1. So RAD!!! Love the group shot of all you ladies. Love and miss ya. xox

    ReplyDelete