Runner with a photography problem

Alaskan {runner, swimmer, SUP'er, surfer, cyclist, hiker, backpacker, traveler, snowboarder} with a photography problem...

Tetons

Tetons

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bali Kima Surfari - Canggu, Indonesia


In March I tried a week of surf camp through Bali Kima Surfari at their Canggu location. Had such a great time that I ended up changing my plane ticket to extend for another week with them at another one of their camps!

Pretty much, this sums it up:
eat-surf-eat-relax by the pool-surf-run-eat

with the occasional 6 dollar massage or outing for shopping, beach sunsets, live music or bike rides.... It was challenging to train for a marathon with the weather, crazy drivers/dogs (more on this later) and the multiple surf sessions per day, but I somehow survived 3 workouts/day by pretending I was in some exotic bootcamp.

Several dives a day into some body of water took the edge off Bali's intense heat/humidity. The camp offered weekend excursions for beaches, sunrise volcano summits or to explore other communities and to learn about the culture.

Fun group of guides, good equipment, beautiful community and facility, great food. They did coaching/reviewed film at night and whisked us off 2-3 times a day to the best spots via van or boat. The breaks walking distance from the camp were also pretty consistent.

All inclusive, easy, paradise.

I've never done anything like this before as I usually try to get "off the beaten path" and avoid tourist packages or too much "gringo" time - but this was well worth it and the most relaxing "active" vacation I've ever had!

Favorite moment: longest ride of my life - blissful turns down a nice big left at Turtle West reef. Ahhh.

I still suck at surfing (though I definitely improved over the week), but the trip only intensified my love affair with it. Not a matter of IF I'll go back, but WHEN :)

Thanks to everyone at Bali Kima Surfari Canggu - you were the highlight of my 2 month trip!

Website for Bali Kima Surfari

Canggu camp
silly photo shoot on the beach
Pete loves Bali
 
storm rolling in near camp
 
 
deadly combo - post-surf Orange Julius
  
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment