Runner with a photography problem

Alaskan {runner, swimmer, SUP'er, surfer, cyclist, hiker, backpacker, traveler, snowboarder} with a photography problem...

Tetons

Tetons

Monday, March 10, 2014

Surf time in Torquay, Australia

A few days in Australia's surf city were exactly what I craved after living out of a tent for a week! Torquay is in between Melbourne and Apollo Bay and boasts several good surf spots, including the famous Bell's Beach. This town was a bit overpriced and touristy, and a bed at a hostel ended up being cheaper than camping. I enjoyed doing a whole lot of "nothing" while I was here. Well, maybe that's the wrong word; I ran 5-18 miles per day (some great coastal trails in this area too), then went surfing at least once a day, attempted some yoga, explored local stores and art and coffee shops, read and took catnaps on the deck, and finished up the day with some home cooking and a bottle of wine with hostel-mates. Met several fellow travelers who are also amidst a bit of a mid-life crisis (or 30-tirement) like me :) It was nice to kick my feet up and stay in one place for 3 nights, and though the main drag is too surf-touristy for me, met some great locals and enjoyed the scenery and surf. Definitely worth the short detour from Melbourne!

My few photos don't really do this place justice...





surf tourism! I didn't go in though... something like 15 bucks to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment