Runner with a photography problem

Alaskan {runner, swimmer, SUP'er, surfer, cyclist, hiker, backpacker, traveler, snowboarder} with a photography problem...

Tetons

Tetons

Monday, March 10, 2014

Taupo, New Zealand

I spent a few nights in the town of Taupo, on the north island, as a jumping off spot for a hike I was planning to do. Apparently I just missed the New Zealand Ironman Championship which was hosted in Taupo a few weeks ago! (Would have loved to catch -ahem, spectate- that!) Great little town, beautiful lake, good food, loads of adventure tourism at the expected high prices. My first day was spent doing the Tongariro crossing, which deserves a blog post of its own (coming soon). On day two I did some mountain biking, checked out a place called Huka Falls, and dipped into a hot spring.
I'll admit I'm a little waterfall-spoiled after Australia, but Huka falls was pretty impressive. This waterfall located on the Waikato river generates 15% of New Zealand's power and fills the equivalent of one to two Olympic sized swimming pool per second! Not surprising after hearing/feeling the roar of it in person. 
I biked there from Taupo via the Waikato river trail system, which was a fantastic little ride through pine tree and palm forests, sandy banks, narrow rocky areas, clifftops overlooking the rainforest and Waikoto river, and dusty hills. On the way back, I stopped for a picnic lunch at the free Spa Park hot pools (right under the bridge nearest to the parking area) which were so hot after the bike ride that I opted to dip into the river instead!

Lake Taupo


Lake Taupo

Waikoto river

mountain biking!

Waikoto river mountain bike track...


Waikoto river

Huka falls




love birds


back on the bike



hot springs location - Spa Park


Spa Park hot springs!



No comments:

Post a Comment