Runner with a photography problem

Alaskan {runner, swimmer, SUP'er, surfer, cyclist, hiker, backpacker, traveler, snowboarder} with a photography problem...

Tetons

Tetons

Friday, February 14, 2014

Manly Beach, Australia

My third day in Australia, I hopped on a ferry to check out Manly Beach. I have to say that I was much more impressed with Manly than Bondi Beach. The atmosphere was just more laid back, more local. It could have also been the fact that I stumbled upon the Hurley Australian Open Surfing Competition!
The ferry departing from Circular Quay to Manly was an experience in itself, with incredible Sydney harbour views in all directions. The town of Manly is adorable - boasting lots of quaint shops along a pedestrian walkway, good food, and the beach itself is awesome. I went on a 6 mile run from Manly beach to Shelley Beach, Sydney Harbour National Park, and North Head Sanctuary. More amazing coastal/clifftop views made the run fly by!
Afterward, I caught some preliminary heats of the mens and womens pro surfing. Happened to sit right next to Faye Zoetmulder, surfer from South Africa, before her heat started. Afterward, I rented a board myself and caught some waves (and a few jellyfish stings) for about 3 hours. Small inconsistent waves, but it felt so good to get back on a surfboard!

Sydney ferry to Manly Beach
Around the corner from Manly
view of Sydney from North Head
North Head Sanctuary
looking down from a cliff in North Head Sanctuary
Surf town bliss
Hurley Australian Open surfing/skateboarding championship
favorite things: surfing, coffee and old vans
Faye Zoetmulder before her heat in the Australian Open
return ferry ride - a bit stormy
Sydney Opera House via the ferry

No comments:

Post a Comment